Deerfield, IL — With attention on the national party conventions, Rep. Bob Dold stayed in Illinois and campaigned for fellow Republican, anti-choice State Rep. Sheri Jesiel, calling her “exactly the kind of person we need in Springfield.”
Since her 2014 campaign for State Representative, Sheri Jesiel has earned high praise from anti-choice groups and has repeatedly attacked women’s reproductive rights:
- Jesiel has led the effort to shut down Planned Parenthood in Illinois.
- Jesiel voted against stopping religious extremists from putting women’s lives at risk by refusing to provide medical care (SB 1564).
- Jesiel voted against increasing contraceptive coverage (HB 5576).
- Illinois Citizens for Life gives Jesiel a 100% rating.
- Jesiel “ran for office to protect life.” When elected, she “was advised to focus on fiscal issues. Although very important to Jesiel, she views the pro-life issue as the building block of our culture.” (Illinois Review, 5/16/2016)
- Endorsed by the socially conservative Illinois Family Action PAC, Jesiel has “articulated personal commitment to pro-life and pro-marriage principles.”
“Republicans attacking reproductive rights need to be challenged, not embraced. Voters simply can’t trust Bob Dold to stand up for 10th District values when he stands with extreme, anti-choice Republicans like Sheri Jesiel,” said Tenth Dems Managing Vice-Chair Barbara Altman.
Recently, Dold has faced criticism for voting 22 times with his NRA-backed Republican Party to block the Terrorist No-Fly bill from reaching the House Floor despite giving a speech asking for precisely that.